It is believed that traumatic or highly stressful experiences can be stored as memories in a dysfunctional way, due to the emotional impact at the time of the experience.
The EMDR technique focuses precisely on the memories of the trauma or stressful event and, through the use of eye movements or other forms of alternating right/left stimulation, it aims to desensitize these memories, making them lose the negative emotional charge that they inevitably possess.
EMDR is currently used to treat:
- Trauma from road accident or other serious accidents;
- Trauma from various types of abuse;
- Trauma from natural disasters;
- Trauma from eating disorders;
- Bereavement and loss of loved ones;
- Humiliation suffered in childhood or in adulthood;
- Childhood trauma of various kinds.